Monday, March 8, 2010

Jon Schmidt!!!

SUPER crazy but SUPER exciting weekend! Chris was out of town this weekend and so thank goodness my mother-in-law could help me out because this weekend was jam-packed! Carlie and I have been in rehearsals every Thursday night for this past month for this big event! My music teacher's association (Desert Valley Music Teacher Association--DVMTA) hosts this event every year--Cavalcade of Rhythm--and it just happened to be the organization's 25th year so it was a big one! I'm on the board for DVMTA so I had the opportunity to meet and work along side Jon Schmidt for the event. Jon Schmidt is a personal piano hero of mine so I was WAY excited to say the least! Carlie and I performed a duet version of one of his most famous pieces--Waterfall. So here is basically how my weekend went:
Thursday, March 4th: Piano rehearsals from 8-8:30 p.m. *then take Max to urgent car for ruptured ear drum (NOT fun). Get home around 9:30 p.m.

Friday, March 5th: Get kids to school 8 a.m. Primary Presidency meeting 8:30 a.m. Lecture with Jon Schmidt 10 a.m.--meet Jon and get his autograph! Decorate Mountain View High School Auditorium noon--get to listen to Jon warm-up on piano! Pick up kids at 3 p.m.

Saturday, March 6th: Rehearsals AGAIN up at Mountain View High School--Carlie meets Jon and gets his autograph. Personal errands along with an eye appointment for Carlie. FINALLY two concerts to perform in--one at 5 p.m. and again at 7 p.m. Go home and COLLAPSE!!!

Both shows were sell-outs and Jon was a super nice guy and fabulous to work with!


4 comments:

  1. How fun and exciting! Do you have a video of you guys playing your duet? I bet it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool! I wish that I had a talent that was something I could do with my kids like that! Yes, if you have a video that would be awesome to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome! i used to play in cavalcades when i was younger. they were really fun - not so much pressure to be perfect - i knew no one would know if i messed up so i could relax a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buffie I am so super jealous - Jon Schmidt is one of our favorite performers, too! So proud of Carlie - what a talented young lady - thanks go out to the "donor" in your family history who may have passed those talents on (you know what I'm talking about, don't want to write anything indelicate here). We miss you and wish we could have seen you perform together!! P.S. Rob wants to know if you've had any good ice cream lately??? :-)

    ReplyDelete