Thursday, October 5, 2023

Elder Meeker--MISSION TIME!

     I keep telling myself that I'm DONE blogging.  I'm pretty sure I'm the last person still doing it.  But I just can't.  I don't use social media so this is my outlet.  So I've got a little catching up to do.

    It has taken me some time to make this post because quite frankly, I miss this boy oh so much that it hurts my heart.  It took me weeks to even go back into his room.  When Carlie went on her mission, she had already been in college a year.  Max just left.  And it was and is still shocking.  And it sucks.  But I've finally decided that if I can't rewind my life by about 12 years, then THIS...right here right now...is where I want to be.  Words cannot describe how proud I am of this kid.  He was HANDS DOWN my MOST difficult kid but how rewarding it has to watch this guy this summer. 

    His first week  of "At-Home MTC" was rough.  Tears every single night.  It is the most helpless feeling to watch your great big boy cry and not want to make everything right for him.  His MTC companion Elder Price, lived in Gilbert so he was able to meet up with him every day which was awesome.  These two hit it off immediately and had a great week together.  



His best friends--Aidan G., Jackson G., & Ricky W.
came to the airport to see him off:)
Elder Price & Meeker

Mexico City--CCM:

    Max loved his time at the Mexico City Missionary Training Center.  LOTS of rain (which is LOVES).  And he loved his district.  I talked to Elder Price's mom and she said she had NEVER seen her son sing and dance before his mission.  Well, that's what I've decided to call "The Max Factor."  Where ever this guy is, there's a party happening and it usually involves singing and dancing.  (Once a theatre kid, always a theatre kid I guess:)



Cool story:  Max met an "Elder Bluth" at the CCM.  They both loved to play basketball and would meet up everyday to play.  They had a common friend, Kyle N.  Kyle lived in Queen Creek (which is how he knew Bluth) but went to high school at Heritage Academy in Mesa.  So he and Max would great friends and teammates on the court.  BUT I quickly figured out that I knew Elder Bluth's parents VERY WELL!  I went to high school in little ol' Deming, NM with Nick & Stacey.  Small world sometimes.


    Max was most definitely ready to leave the CCM after 7 weeks there--he even managed to catch a parasite and had to visit the doctor and go on some antibiotics.  But he survived.  One of the sisters posted this on her FB page.  I'm thinking the sisters were hoping for a "sweet" video of them singing for the last time together in the CCM.  But once again, "The Max-Factor" came into play.  If this boy is around, fun WILL be had:). 


New York, New York Mission:
    Max was SOO excited to be back in the states.  First order of business--Chick-Fil-A in the Dallas airport.  Then on to NYC.  He was assigned to Stamford, CT for his first area and he absolutely LOVES his trainer and this area.  He's thriving.
Pres. & Sis. Holmes

Max & "Elder Mooker"
(a sweet member made this for him)



Not shocking that Max had a baptism his first week there.  A sweet 10 year old boy who adores my Max.

Another Small World Story: 
    One of Chris's old companions from 25 years ago--Nebraska Omaha Mission 1995-97--reached out to us on FB.  His son is currently serving in the New York Mission with Max.  So of course these two boys met up the second they could at a Zone Conference to re-create this picture of their dads many years ago.



    I could go on and on but my heart hurts too much right now.  I love this boy of mine with every fiber of my being.  I could not be more proud of him.  I love watching him grow and THRIVE.  NYC, take good care of my boy.💙💙💙

No comments:

Post a Comment