Monday, August 13, 2012

GG's 90th Birthday:)

Well my dear, sweet Grandma Jane Ann turned 90 this past week.

I have nothing but the fondest memories growing up with my grandma.  She was the picture perfect grandma.  She lived in Tucson, AZ--which was "magical" when you lived in a place like Deming, NM:)  Grandma had a swimming pool, always made YUMMY food, and just spoiled us grandkids rotten.  My youngest daughter--Tatum Jane--is named after this beautiful lady.

Well...over the past 3 years our "GG" (Great-Grandma) has been slipping into dementia.  It's been a very hard thing to watch.  For instance--she always remembers my sister and I but doesn't remember our younger brother, Travis.  GG remembers sewing my wedding dress but has NO idea who my husband actually is.  She also thinks that my son, Ethan, belongs to my sister Anne.  She has also developed quite the "potty mouth."  I will never get used to this!  I have witnessed first hand her calling other women (in her nursing home) "Whores!"  My GG was actually in "a fight" with another lady over another man in the nursing home!  So we do our best to go along with it all and keep her in line:)

Because of the dementia, we thought we might get away with NOT having a birthday party for my GG this year.  Not because we didn't want to, just because it is such a CRAZY time of year getting all the kids back to school/football/piano/harvest time/my husband being out of the country for 2 weeks/and everything else.  But boy were we WRONG!  GG was GOING to have a party.  She may have forgotten many things but NOT her birthday:)

So my sister and I are the party-planners of the family.  So first we made invites:  (Sexy lady--YES with a  cigarette in her hand:)

Put together a movie of all the Great-Grandkids:


And had an AMAZINGLY great time celebrating the life of this wonderful woman whom we all love deeply.

GG and her Great-Grandkids (6 out 16 of them)

And what does every 90 year old woman want for her birthday?  Why a DANCE PARTY of course!!!  This next video I feel like I need to explain that this is my 23 year old/returned missionary nephew, Cassel:)  Crazy kid:)  If my younger brother, Travis, had been there, this would have been WAY worse:)

And then everyone joins in: 

So we did it!!!  It was a crazy weekend for me with a quick trip to NM but I'm so glad that I could be there to be a part of it all.  Love you TONS and TONS GG!!!  Happy 90th!  I hope to keep you another 10 years at least--even if you're kinda ornery:)

Anne, GG, & I


1 comment:

  1. Look at GG rocking those dance moves! So glad you got to spend a great weekend with her - I only have fond memories of your sweet grandma. What a special lady.

    Personally, I feel GG might be smart to be "forgetting" Travis - Beaner has done plenty of things I'm sure we'd all rather forget. So see, there is a bright side after all.

    Was that K.C.'s son hamming it up in the video? He's quite a character! Loved it all - good to see pics of your extended family since I miss all of them!

    ReplyDelete