Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Carlie Meeker...Extraordinary

This year started off really weird for Carlie.  She worked REALLY hard this past semester and made All-State.  She then tried out for the Phoenix Youth Symphony and made it.  It wasn't until after we got these results that we were given the PYS schedule--EVERY concert and social activity were on Sundays!!!  So as sad as she was about it, she decided to pull out.

Then school started.  This year is a re-building year for the music program at her high school--changes were desperately needed.  With this came the decision to cut all winds out of the orchestra program so that the new teacher could build up a strong string section.  There were only about 5 wind players as it was so I completely understood why they had to do this BUT it really stunk for Carlie because #1--she is a brilliant oboist and #2--she had to be enrolled in her school orchestra to even be allowed to try out for AZ Regionals and All-State.  I seriously thought we would have to start a new high school but the Principal and new Orchestra Teacher worked out a deal with us.  She is technically "signed up" in the orchestra class but she would just use that time as personal practice time--which has actually turned out to be a great blessing because her evenings have been filled with rehearsals/homework/work.  So we were happy with that compromise and Carlie got to stay at Heritage.

She then wanted to join a couple of the choirs there at school.  Yes...I admit that I do not think highly of any high school choir--long deep-rooted feelings dating back to my high school days when we joked about those "lesser musicians."  But I swallowed my pride and allowed her to do this so that she would have some kind of ensemble participation this year.  The school had also just hired a new choir teacher.

Fast forward to the Heritage Christmas Choir concerts last night.  I am now putting my foot in my mouth and eating a piece of humble pie because this Choir teacher has built up the BEST high school choir program I have ever seen!!!  Carlie is absolutely thriving this year!  Joining choir has just adding to her musicality and she is absolutely STUNNING up there on stage.  I seriously had tears running down my face last night.

In the first video, Riu Riu Chiu, she was the only female chosen to do a solo for this.  And in the second video, she plays the oboe.  AMAZING!




She has just blossomed this semester.  I am extremely impressed with this new teacher and am so grateful that I let this year play out.  Carlie Meeker is an extraordinary young woman and musician.  Singing solos, oboe solos, landing the part of Eponine...I would have never predicted this.  I can't wait to see what the rest of this year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment