Saturday, July 28, 2018

Stop #2: Mahogany Bay, Roatan Island: Honduras

It's a tough call but this stop was probably my favorite.  This little long/skinny Roatan Island is part of Honduras and has the most incredible history.  YES!  There were LOTS of pirates who frequented this island.  YES!  There are clearly visible shipwrecks everywhere.  YES!  Pirate treasure/gold is STILL found from time to time on the island--but if you find it, you SHUT UP!  And oh yeah....WE GOT TO HOLD MONKEYS!!!  BEST.STOP.EVER!

We had a little time before our excursion in the afternoon so we hit the beach with the most incredible white sand and clear blue/warm water.  



Then we loaded up on our bus to head over to Gumbalimba Park Nature Reserve.  This park is privately owned and had so much to do!  We took the tour in which we came into close proximity to tons of jungle creatures!

My 2 Monkeys:)

Hard to see but it's the
Park Sloth:)
(Yes...he's the only one)

A whole house of insects:
Ethan's favorite place.
IGUANAS!  IGAUNAS!  Everywhere!!!  NO desire to hold these guys:)

Add caption

This guy was HUGE!


This is an actual canon from a pirate ship!
Then we crossed a very rickety bridge to get over to the animal sanctuary.





The first stop was the birds.  Yuk.  I would have gladly skipped this part but didn't want to let my kids down.  There were free flying freaking huge birds everywhere.  A couple of them could say a few words so that was kinda cool.

This Toucan "should" have been inside this cage...
he's trying to break the other one out here:)
 I was perfectly happy to hide in the background and take pictures while everyone else held these little devils:)

On her head?!
This would have sent me RUNNING!


Something about the girls I guess...
There was NO WAY to choose my favorite monkey pictures!  This was SOO MUCH FUN!!!  I could have stayed in this part for hours!!!  The monkeys were sooo darn cute and mischievous!  We say them take off with someone's can of soda:)









Here's a mommy monkey
with her 3 week old baby:)


Seriously one of the coolest things I have ever done.  This place was amazing.  I think when I retire, I'm going to live on Roatan Island and just play with monkeys all day:)





No comments:

Post a Comment