Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Halifax, Nova Scotia (Cananda)

Next stop:  Halifax, Nova Scotia!

LOVED this place!!!  This was the first time we had "undesirable" weather.  The tour guides kept apologizing for the fog and light rain but I LOVED it!  When else do I ever get to experience weather/views like this?  

Our first stop was "Peggy's Cove."  This is a small fishing village--about 30 people currently live here.  The lighthouse here is apparently "the most photographed building in Canada."  I can definitely see why:




The fog was SUPER cool!  


This sign just cracked me up:)

Cool old phone booth--"Call Me Maybe!"  I just crack myself up:)


Awesome/unfinished carving depicting Canada's pilgrimage

Next stop was the Fairview Lawn Cemetery where 180 of the 1500 passengers of the Titanic were buried.  The are 2 other cemeteries nearby that have another 128 passengers buried.  So in all, 308 passengers where buried here in Canada.  The stories of the Titanic always fascinate me.


This lady died with her 4 children while traveling back home to her husband--hits home with me.
This next headstone had a very sad/interesting story.  Several victims of the Titanic were unidentified--there was no such thing as DNA testing back then.  So this 2 year old little boy was never claimed and so the surviving crew paid for this headstone to honor all of the children who died on the boat.  However, during the tragedy, the coroners/rescuers kept such detailed notes that they were able to identify this little boy (and several other victims) many years later.  This little boy was named Sidney Leslie and his parents perished as well.  As you can see, visitors leave little play toys for this boy daily.


After the tour, we headed into town to walk all over the place like we always do:)  There is the MOST beautiful "Public Gardens" in the center of this town.  In this garden are plants from all of the continents in the world (except for Antarctica:)






I want a tree like this in my backyard--SERIOUS shade:)
Absolutely stunning.  Puts Central Park in NY to shame in my opinion:)  We certainly enjoyed our time in Halifax even despite the "undesirable" weather:)  Would definitely come back here if the opportunity ever came again.


1 comment:

  1. Little kid graves always make me sad.... but cool to see a little glimpse of such a famous part of history.

    ReplyDelete