Sunday, August 2, 2015

Victoria, Canada--Friday, July 17th

Our final shore stop was in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.  It was absolutely GORGEOUS and a  perfect day too!  After Skagway, the warmer weather was sure a nice treat:)  We didn't have a planned shore excursion this day, we just got off the boat and walked, and walked, and WALKED!!!  Seriously, our "health" app on our phones guesstimated that we walked just under 10 miles in this town and the kids were AWESOME!  I was actually the only one complaining at the end:) 

Here we are at the Fisher's Village

These Victorian-style homes are everywhere here!!!

Even the government buildings are BEAUTIFUL!
Our long journey led us to the most beautiful Craigdarroch Castle.  I LOVE castles and will walk just about anywhere if I know I can go in!  This one had a sad history of being built for Robert Dunsmuir and his family who had come into his wealth in coal mining.  He passed away before it was completed but his wife, 3 daughters, and 2 orphaned grandchildren lived there for a short time.  It was then used as a military, hospital, Victoria College, offices for the Victoria School Board, and now a museum.


This "wreath" is made out of human hair--kinda gross
but so intricate and detailed that I really did find
appreciation in it:)


The stained glass windows were exquisite!
There was an old square Steinway grand piano in the home that people were allowed to play on--if they had musical training.  So Carlie and I jumped at that of course!  Super cool!


This entire town was absolutely beautiful at every turn and we sure walked a ton of it!  I found myself taking pictures of the flower baskets probably because I attempted to grow a few of these in AZ and failed miserably!  So I call this my "flower-basket envy" collage:



No comments:

Post a Comment