Thursday, March 2, 2017

Mulan Jr. with AYT

Rewind back to early December...auditions for Mulan were coming up.  Max decided at the last minute he would like to audition.  As we headed over to the theatre for his audition...EVERY road going north was closed at Elliot Rd.!!!  I had ONE MORE mile to get to the theatre and I COULD NOT get there!!!  There was some marathon going on for Gilbert Days and it seriously took me 1 1/2 hours to get to the theatre that normally takes just 20 minutes.  So Max actually missed his audition time but I was able to get him in the next audition group--the casting directors were well aware of the road closures as it affected many people.  So I was completely flustered and thinking that maybe I should have just taken the road blocks as a sign and gone home.  But we made it and in he went.

After an hour, I see Max come out with a huge group of kids around him patting him on the back, giving him high fives, etc...and I just knew...he landed another lead role.  He somehow just lights up an audition room and makes everyone take notice.  

Cast list was late being posted on Sunday night--I was once again at a church meeting (for Trek) checking my phone every 5 minutes--but when it did post...LOTS of whooping and hollering was going on at the Meeker home:)

Max honestly thought he would NEVER enjoy another role as much as he loved being Peter Pan.  He was WRONG!  He absolutely LOVED being Captain Shang--his new favorite role up to this point.  Captain Shang is definitely a more serious and intense character which was a challenge for Max.  He just amazed us all as he rose to the occasion and became this amazing character that everyone LOVED!  Black hair, clip-on man bun, high energy fight scenes, a "stage kiss" at the end all made for one amazing production.

When Max was Peter Pan a year ago, that was cute and adorable.  This year, as Captain Shang, he became every girl's dream:)  Seriously!  After shows, I would be outside with him as he greeted everyone and many times girls came over to say, "My sister thinks you're cute!" or "My friend says you're HOT!"  or "Can I get a picture with you???"  I'd just be standing there like, "HELLO!  MOM standing here with my 12 year old son so back off girls!"  Kinda funny how things change in a year:)

The "man bun" OH YEAH:)

Kobi (Soldier Ling)

Grant (Soldier Yao)

Nadia (Mulan)

Lindsey (Mushu)

Liam in his ensemble costume

Photo bomb Dab by Grant
I always work backstage at least one night so I can get cast pics.  Max was trying to teach me how to take a selfie--apparently it's all in the "tilt" of the camera and I was not very good at it:)

Photo Bomb by Grant again:)


Photo Bomb by Ruby

Olivia (Yun Ancestor)

Mrs. Babcock (Max's teacher from school:)
came to see Max for her birthday!
Grandpa Frank & Grandma Sherry

Emma came to embarrass Max one night--
she did a GREAT job:)

Paula (Grandmother Fa)--she was HILARIOUS in her role!
One of my favorites in the cast:)

Liam in his "bad guy" costume--Shan Yu

Max's Friends from school:
Nicolette, Parker, & Maddox

After party at DQ


So another fantastic show under our belts at AYT.  Max thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this production.  He was sure sad when it was over but he's pretty much been out with the cast at some get together every weekend since it ended--he's got a party this weekend too.  Such a great group of kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment