Sunday, June 18, 2017

Europe 2017--England

We headed over to England using the train--excellent way to get to London in less than 2 hours.  We of course hit the ground running taking in all the major sites the first night.

Buckingham Palace & Parliament Square:










You can't NOT take a picture in one of these:)

London Day 2:  Tower of London
I had NEVER been here before despite being in London.  Seriously HOW did my tour not take us here!  Such a fun place with the craziest history!  Humans are insane!  

We enjoyed taking a tour with a "Beefeater."  They paint quite the picture of what life was like in the tower.  This tower was founded towards the end of 1066 so there has been LOTS of time for LOTS of crazy things to happen.  The Tower has served as an armoury, a treasury, and menagerie, and is home of the Crown Jewels of England--I had never seen a 560 karat diamond until I toured this place!  Many people lost their heads in this tower and no one really knows how many bodies are actually buried on the property.  There were also several women/children killed there as well--mostly royal families considered traitors.  


If you happen to be walking in the way of the soldiers
marching path, you would be yelled at--kinda funny.
We stayed WAY out of their way:)
This is a tribute to all the women who
were killed here at the Tower.




This just cracked me up.  "Collar of Torment"
was used for "argumentative" or "wandering" wives:)

Trafalger Square:


We also hit the British Museum this day.  Not sure why I didn't take any pictures here.  I could have spent days going through this place.  My personal favorite exhibit was the ancient Egypt room.  I was fascinated with the mummies and the things they were able to tell about them using a cat-scan.  The Rosetta Stone was pretty amazing to see as well.

London Day 3:
For our last full day in England, we headed out of town to see some of the English country side.  Our first stop was Bath.  Very cool little historic town who's claim to fame is Jane Austen.  Her family used to live there.  Beautiful architecture and gorgeous landscapes.




My family knows I have an "ivy obsession."  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this "weed."  I actually have English Ivy growing on my front porch and I have successfully kept it alive for 5+ years.  I wish this stuff would just grow wild all over my house!




The Roman Baths were fun to see.  I'm kinda glad that public bathing is not a thing anymore:)




A fake Jane Austen.  HAD to have a pic:)

Stonehenge: 
This is a place that I haven't wanted to see for as long as I can remember!  So the Paris Catacombs and Stonehenge were at the top of my list of things I HAD to do!  SOOO excited to finally make it out here!  

Incredible history and interesting history guess work--as no one really knows exactly what this place was used for.





The Sacrifice Stone can be seen here

So we crammed as much as we possibly could in the 9 full days we had here in Europe.  We did everything we set out to do and came home thoroughly exhausted and ready to get back into our normal day-to-day lives:)



No comments:

Post a Comment