Sunday, June 29, 2014

Girl's Camp 2014

I had the opportunity to be the Camp Director once again for my ward.  This was my 3rd year to do this as although it's very stressful and I don't like camping (at all), it was a very rewarding and awesome experience.

Of the 3 years I have done this, this was my most favorite year hands down.  This mix of girls was just amazing!  Everyone remained healthy this year--not a single puker:)  And they all just got along with very little drama.  And I had more of a clue of what to expect and what to do so maybe I was just better prepared all the way around.  Whatever the reason, I just LOVED being there this year!  I also recently received the calling as 2nd counselor in the YW presidency so I get to STAY with the girls this year which makes me SUPER HAPPY!!!

We had 30 girls and 4 leaders that I was in charge of this year and it all came together perfectly.  Here are some pictures of our adventure:


All nice & clean:)

YAY for Girl's Camp!!!

Our theme this year was A.R.M.Y which stands for "A Righteous Mormon Youth"

Our cute 1st years

Our wonderful 3rd Years headed out on their hike!

The Grove 2nd ARMY


So the 1st years were a little too excited this year on their first night at camp.  They stayed up until 3 am talking and laughing very loudly!  They woke everyone up in camp at least once.  Sis. Sharp then had to get up and stop the craziness!  So the next night while the 1st Years were "Snipe Hunting" the 3rd Years wanted to play a little prank on them.  So with they had a great time decorating the 1st year's tent.  All items of decoration were provided by our lovely YW leader Sis. Lawler:)  


Can you guess what that is???





My favorite night at camp was the Lip Sync night.  We were assigned the color yellow and the "For Strength of Youth" topic of Service.  So I created and re-wrote the words to the 2 songs of "Can Anybody Find Me Somebody to Love" by Queen and "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix A-Lot.  Two very shady songs (haha:) but I made them appropriate for camp:)  I just couldn't do a "Frozen" song like everyone else:)  But my girl's ROCKED it!  I was so proud of them.  Check them out:  (they tried to cut our song off thinking it was done so that's why you can hear me talking:)
As leaders, we got even less sleep than the girls.  We believe that we set up our tent over a ground squirrel city of some sort!  We had a 2 REALLY bad nights when the squirrels were all over our tent!  You could actually SEE them scurrying under our tarp floor--which was VERY LOUD!  It was like the "Whack-a-Mole" game that you play at the arcade!  We were screaming like 10 year old girls trying to stomp on the moving lumps, throwing shoes, and doing ANYTHING we could think of to get them away!  The squirrels were also running all over the top of our tent.  They are cute in the day time but not so much at night.  Then once actually got into our tent and OH MY!!!  We were all ready to jump in our cars and head home!  But after calming down, we said a prayer and had a much better night the next night.  Good times and good laughs.  It's going to take me a week to catch up on sleep for sure.

All in all we had a fantastic girl's camp.  Such a rewarding and spiritual experience for everyone and although I am thoroughly EXHAUSTED, I would do it all again in a heart beat:)

No comments:

Post a Comment