Friday, June 22, 2018

France--Normandy

I said it last year and I'm saying it AGAIN!  I could just stay in the Normandy area of France forever!  Who needs Paris?!  NOT ME!!!  Seriously cannot get enough of the beautiful French countryside.  I even picked out my house on Omaha beach--complete with horses:)

Chris's company does an amazing job on these events every year.  I love a good parade and dogs EVERYWHERE!  A huge ferris wheel and oh yeah...PARACHUTERS!!!  Seriously cool watching these trained jumpers jump out of a plain and land in on a target!!!  I did not think that they had much control over their landings but man...these guys have it down to an art:)

Our hotel was in Countance:

Cathedral in Countance

Fry forks crack me up:)


Point du Hoc:


Bomb-cratered beach

Ethan in a crater!

German Bunkers


The Ranger Monument
erected by Ronald Regan



Omaha Beach:




Here's my house I picked out!!!
You know...when I retire:)

German Cemetery

Sainte Mere-Eglise:
This is where the parade happens.

My favorite dog of the day!
Seriously dogs EVERYWHERE!


E on the Ferris Wheel!


They LOVE all things American here!  The Americans left all of their vehicles here after the war and as you can see, they are kept in perfect condition.  Everywhere you look people of all ages (even young kids) are dressed up in American camo uniforms.  



My husband and son made fun of me the ENTIRE trip because...well...I have an ivy obsession!!!  If I could have my entire house covered in this stuff, I would!!!  But my front porch is all I can keep alive--and that's because my front porch does not get much AZ sun!


I laid under this tree while waiting for
the parade to start.  It was a perfect day!

Here's those parachuters!!!  It was such an AWESOME finale to the day!!!


Normandy Cemetery:
Don't ask me WHY I didn't think of this last year!  But I found a Meeker buried in the Normandy Cemetery!!!  I was SOOO excited!!!  Russel L. Meeker died at the age of 22 here in Normandy.  I am now on a mission to find the family connection and get his Temple work completed!!!




I'm always fascinated by this sweet tribute
to 2 unknown soldiers buried together.

Brittany Cemetery:
We found a Beach (Chris's mother's family) in the Brittany Cemetery!!!  Next time I go, I'm bringing flowers.  For now, I'm doing the Temple research:)


Every year Veterans are brought over for this event.  Every year Helen Patton also speaks--she is the blonde lady in the middle and is the granddaughter of General Patton.


LOVE the trees in this cemetery!

Mont-Saint-Michel:
This place never gets old either!!!  LOVE visiting this AMAZING fortress/abbey!  It is so picturesque and I'm always in awe as I walking up to it--it's like I can't believe I'm going to such a beautiful place and then when I leave, it's like I can't believe I was there!!!  Just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!




This is the little village within the walls.
We think it looks like Hogsmeade:)
"Oh look!  MORE Ivy?!
Did you get a picture Ethan?!"
Haha.
I hate birds.
And they hate me.
I can just see it in his eyes:)
The view from up top!
We then walked down to the beach after climbing the abbey.





Seriously would have been a happy camper to just stay here but NO...off to dumb ol' Paris next!  Goodbye Normandy!!!  I'll be back!!!  
























































No comments:

Post a Comment