Sunday, June 24, 2018

Munich: Dachau

I came to Dachau when I was 16 years old and on tour with the American Musical Ambassadors (way back in 1993).  This place left such an impression on me that I've been wanting to go back ever since.  And coming back as an adult, I learned so much more that I missed as a teenager.  

I cannot fathom all of the horrors that happened here and I learned that even after these people were "liberated" many had even more and worse horrors ahead of them--their homes were overtaken by others or gone altogether and the brutality of the Russian soldiers who were considered "allies" was unbelievable.  What a terrible chapter in our humankind history but I am so grateful that this camp has been preserved so that we can understand, move forward, have empathy, and honor these people who lost everything.  How I wish I could do more--like their Temple work!

This particular camp was meant to hold 6,000 prisoners.  At the time of "liberation" it held more than 30,000.  The front gate to the camp:  "Work sets you free."  


Sinks used by prisoners


Bunks





The gas showers

After the prisoners were killed,
their clothes were thrown into these
rooms for disinfecting.


Pistol Range for Execution
Execution Wall






There are two mass graves here at this sight with thousands of unknown people.  I have faith and hope that someday all these wrongs will be made right.





















No comments:

Post a Comment