Sunday, June 24, 2018

Munich: Schwangau

Chris and I had visited the Neuschwanstein Castle once before but just HAD to do it again!!!  But this time we also visited the 2nd smaller castle--the Hohenschwangau Castle which was the boyhood castle of King Ludwig II.

Now it is quite the hike to get here but once again, we took the challenge head on and once again, Ethan left us in the dust!  He's like the Energizer Bunny!!!  

Hohenschwangau Castle:  
This castle is actually still privately owned by the Royal Family of Bavaria--pretty much just "royal" in name only.  However, they are kind enough to allow it to be a museum for tourists.  This castle has been perfectly preserved.  All the paint and fixtures are original. It is just down the hill a little ways from the bigger castle.  Once again, totally worth every step to see these views.  The camera does a pretty good job capturing it but nothing beats being there and seeing it for yourself.  

We have a LONG hike ahead!

"ETHAN WAIT FOR US!"





Neuschwanstein Castle:
This castle was never completed but what is complete is absolutely incredible.  King Ludwig II was considered an "eccentric" or "mad" King.  His ideas were pretty fabulous and lavish--which would have been fine if he weren't a king with a job to do:)  He did die under very mysterious circumstances and there are several theories surrounding his untimely death.  I have no theories of my own, I just wish I could see the blueprints of everything else this man had planned!  I'm sure it was amazing.  



View of the Hohenschwangau
from the Neuschwanstein


So if I'm ranking our crazy undertakings, this would be the order of our climbs from the most hard to less hard--but they were all SUPER hard! 
#1--The hike to the castles (I was sore for days!!!)
#2-The climb up the Eiffel Tower
#3-The climb to the Sacred Heart Basilica

So I ate way more gelato than I needed to on this trip but I actually LOST weight thanks to these hikes:)









No comments:

Post a Comment